Captain Hugh Jones 1874-1918, was in command of the S.S. Surrey at the age of 25. He began his career as ships cook on the Abbey and seaman on the schooners Eleanor Jane and Catherine. He then moved to the Garsdale as an A.B. and served in the capacity on the Santon and the Edith Mary. Hugh was Second Mate on the steamers Nant Francon, Cambuskenneth, Garth, Meath, Glenpark and Glenroy. After gaining his First Mate's ticket he served on the Seaspray, Cadeby, Torbryan and the L'Infreieur. After five years of serving as captain on the Surrey she was involved in an accident when she struck a sunken wreck in the Gironde Estuary. Hugh was found not to be at fault and went on to command the S.S Cathcartpark, Garvelpark, Wellpark, Mountpark, Holmpark and the ill fated Heathpark. By 1895, Captain Hugh Jones’s wife Annie owned land on which the houses Surrey, Glendower, Glanmor and Carron were built. The Jones brothers occupied three of these new buildings; Captain Edward Jones at Glanmor, Captain Morgan H. Jones at Glendower and Captain Hugh Jones at Surrey, which was named after his first command S.S. Surrey. First officer David H. Jones lived at No.8 Cambrian Terrace whilst in Borth, and at South Pacific House, Barry Dock, South Wales.